CLICK HERE TO READ MY NEW CRAFT BLOG »

Pages

Harley - The Dog, Not the Motorcycle

I've been meaning to write about our new puppy for about a week and a half now. Her name is Harley, she's a Llewellin Setter, she's about 8-9 weeks old right now and she's driving me absolutely INSANE! It's like having a newborn baby in overdrive... minus the nice neat diaper to hold in the mess.

We ended up with her because Josh just couldn't resist her cute wittle puppy dog eyes. I didn't want her. I really didn't want her. I knew a puppy would be a lot of work and a lot of added stress to our family. We took her in with the understanding that she's Josh's dog and he would be the one taking care of her. I should have known better... I'm the one home all day... The majority of the work is done by me. Yay.

Where did she come from you ask? Well... My aunt works at a pet hospital. Right before Christmas a man took Harley in to her work and asked them to put her to sleep. Why? She had Parvo. Instead of putting the puppy to sleep they treated her for the disease. She starting recovering from it the next day. This man was called to let him know that his puppy was going to be fine. He said that he didn't want her because he thought she'd never be the same again.

Christmas day when we were all over at my Grandma's house my aunt mentioned this puppy to us. She was trying to find a good home for her. I said no. Josh said he wanted to see her and research the breed. So we went home and looked up Llewellin Setters. We'd never heard of them before, but the more we read about them the more we both fell in love. Ok fine... Let's at least see her.

Who can resist a puppy?! We took one look at her and instantly fell in  love. (Dang it.) My aunt talked us into keeping her over night to see how we liked her and to see how she fit in with the kids and Bella... (Dang it, again.) She ended up staying.

Thankfully she's a really smart dog and is learning really fast. The first week we had her was absolute hell... My poor living room carpet. (We're buying a steam cleaner because doing it by hand is just not my thing.) She's getting better as time goes on...

Welcome to the family, Harley.
12/30/2009


Photobucket
6 Responses
  1. Masala Chica Says:

    She is beautiful. I know you didn't want a dog, but she seems pretty freaking adorable. I know, easier to say when you don't have to walk them at 6 in the morning and pick up dog poop, but still. I think these things happen to make sure the right family has a chance to give their love.
    Kiran


  2. i couldn't resist either... look at that face!!


  3. Shell Says:

    What a cutie!

    I'm going to have to go look at your 3 column designs. I tried to go 3 column on my blog, but it ended up all funky looking and then I lost all the editing I'd done on my blog! It was a nightmare!


  4. Unknown Says:

    Puppies are SUCH a challenge. We adopted our two dogs when they were 2 years and 4 years old, mostly because I'm crummy at training puppies. But your lil guy is just TOO sweet to resist (not to mention, I'm a sucker for a sad story like how he was abandoned).

    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest


  5. Happy SITs Saturday!

    I am not a dog person, but she sure is cute. I've never heard of this breed either. My parents had Irish Setters while I was growing up. He looks a little like those dogs. Good luck breaking her!


  6. Anonymous Says:

    Oh, what a cutie pie!!!